The prestigious Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) Institute is a transformational, leadership development program for women in higher education, founded to fill leadership pipelines across the United States with dynamic women, each capable of ushering their respective institutions into a more inclusive and equitable future. This intensive residential experience is designed to elevate women faculty and administrators holding mid-to-senior level positions in higher education. Participants are asked to share their vision of leadership and what they hope to contribute to their respective institutions, and are challenged to actualize this professional vision for themselves. HERS offers two two-week residential summer programs (University of Denver and Bryn Mawr College). The HERS Institutes provide participants with opportunities to learn from senior women leaders and higher education scholars.
The curriculum prepares participants for institutional leadership roles with the knowledge and skills to achieve organizational priorities and maximizing available resources. In addition, HERS Institute participants work with HERS faculty and alumnae to develop the professional skills, institutional awareness, self-knowledge, and networks needed to advance as leaders in higher education administration.
HERS Institute at the University of Denver: June 8-June 20, 2020. Twelve-day core curriculum in two-week summer residency program on the campus of the University of Denver in Colorado.
HERS Institute at Bryn Mawr College: July 6-July 18, 2020. Twelve-day core curriculum in two-week summer residency program on the campus of Bryn Mawr College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- USC HERS Nomination Criteria and Application
- USC HERS Information Session Presentation
- USC HERS Alumnae
In collaboration with the USC Office of the Senior Vice President for Human Resources, USC Women in Management will award two participants funding to attend.
Applicants for the USC-HERS funding must be current full-time/benefits eligible USC staff or faculty. In addition, successful applicants will typically meet the following criteria:
- At least five years of full-time experience at USC (or from another academic institution with a recent transition to USC), OR a successful career in another field to a senior position at USC;
- Strong record of professional accomplishments demonstrated by movement into increasingly responsible positions (either through formal promotions or taking on responsibilities of greater scope and impact);
- Strong commitment to a career in higher education administration as evidenced by career focus, applicable education, participation in professional associations, involvement in extra-curricular committee or volunteer service at USC, and insights offered in application essay;
- Career goals that require development of leadership skills in the university setting;
- Completions of bachelor’s degree (with strong preference for advanced degrees);
- Submittal of a letter of support from current supervisor or director; and
- Commitment to leveraging the experience in a concrete way to benefit USC.
The application deadline is 3:00 PM, Friday, November 1, 2019. Applications should be submitted electronicallyin PDF format to Alicia Cornish White (email@example.com), Selection Committee Chair and Co-Vice President, USC Women in Management. Phone: (213) 740-2913. Please put LAST NAME – HERS Institute 2020 in the subject line of your application email.
PLEASE NOTE: USC Women in Management facilitates the review and selection process for the university-sponsored participants. There is a second application process for acceptance to the HERS Institutes for nominated candidates, with an application deadline of February 4, 2020. More information about HERS is available at https://www.hersnetwork.org.