The prestigious Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) Institute is a transformational, leadership development program for women in higher education, founded to fill leadership pipelines across the United States with dynamic women, each capable of ushering their respective institutions into a more inclusive and equitable future. The HERS Leadership Institute is an inclusive program, welcoming all participants who identify as women, and representing a range of racial and ethnic groups, nationalities, veteran and disability statuses, religious affiliations, ages, and years of experience in higher education. It is designed for faculty and staff who generally hold mid-to-senior level positions in higher education. Participants are asked to share their vision of leadership and what they hope to contribute to their respective institutions, and are challenged to actualize this professional vision for themselves.
The curriculum prepares participants for institutional leadership roles with the knowledge and skills to achieve organizational priorities and maximize available resources. In addition, HERS Institute participants work with HERS faculty and alumnae to develop the professional skills, institutional awareness, self-knowledge, and networks needed to advance as leaders in higher education administration. Enrollment is limited.
Applicants for the USC-HERS funding must be current full-time/benefits eligible USC staff or faculty. In addition, successful applicants will typically demonstrate the following:
1. Strong record of professional accomplishments demonstrated by movement into increasingly responsible positions (either through formal promotions or taking on responsibilities of greater scope and impact);
2. Strong commitment to a career in higher education administration as evidenced by career focus, applicable education, participation in professional associations, involvement in extra-curricular committees or volunteer service at USC, and insights offered in application essay;
3. Strong commitment to equity in your discipline or field of practice;
4. Career goals that require development of leadership skills in the university setting;
5. Completion of bachelor’s degree (with consideration of advanced degrees in progress or completed);
6. Submittal of a letter of support from current supervisor or director; and
7. Commitment to leveraging the experience in a concrete way to advance a more equitable and inclusive USC.
The USC application deadline was 5:00 PM, Friday, March 10, 2023. Applications were submitted electronically in PDF format to Amanda Vanni (email@example.com), Selection Committee Chair and Vice President, USC Women in Management. Please enter “[LAST NAME] – HERS Institute 2023” in the subject line of your application email. CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: USC Women in Management facilitates the review and selection process for the university-sponsored participants. Applicants were notified in late March/early April if they had been selected by USC. There was then a second application process for acceptance to the HERS Institute, with an application deadline of May 1, 2023. If selected for nomination by WIM and then accepted by the HERS Institute, funding covered the program fee and the majority of travel-related expenses. More information about HERS is available at https://www.hersnetwork.org.